Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Rooftop Garden

Here it is!  The Rooftop Garden in Greenpoint, Brooklyn.  I finally made it over to the greenest spot across the river and it was just what I had hoped it would be.  With plenty of visitors that day, I'm hoping their final Farmer's Market of the season was profitable.  Available for sale were greens like purple kale and various lettuces.  The head farmer Annie was there walking and talking around the garden to many of its guests.  I overheard her inquiring with a friend about how to get fish juice to the farm.  The oils and juice will nurture the soil with tons of vitamins and minerals, allowing for more nutrient rich veggies next spring. They have started a volunteer list for the upcoming winter projects and I'm hoping I get a chance to participate.   It was SO cool to see such a wonderful project excelling.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of these rooftop farms next spring. This city never ceases to amaze me.  Besides its being awesome on every other possible front,  now we get to enjoy farm fresh, LOCAL produce too?  Revolutionary- The term the "Big Apple" now has new life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment