Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The Pink Stuff



Pink has never really been my color. I'm pretty sure it has something to do with my Mom swaddling me head to toe when I first arrived- and so maybe I had my fill way back before I even had a color "/

However, Pink wine, now that is something I am willing to check out.  You have probably noticed at your local wine shop a varying selection of interesting bottles filled with different shades of pink.  Rose Season has arrived-and it will be gone before you know it.
A little back story on the pink stuff:
All wine begins white (seriously) and it is the amount of time that the skins are allowed to come in contact with the juice that transforms the color.  So Roses usually swim with their skins for about 3 days after crush depending on 1. types of grapes used to make the wine, and 2. what color the winemaker is hoping to achieve.  The pink color can range from a pale orange to a vivid near-purple, depending on the grapes and wine making techniques. It also varies in flavor but most commonly are dry, crisp and full of flavor.  It can also have bubbles or be still.  Rose is traditionally from Provence, France but winemakers have been exploring with all different grapes and regions with great success.

It's nearing the end of July-Rose season is in full effect!  Gather your friends, have each one pick up a bottle of Rose and meet in the park, at the beach, or around the pool.  This vintage will only be here until stock runs dry and then we wait.......until next Rose season.  So Drink up!

A Year In Provence- great book about Rose :)

No comments:

Post a Comment