Monday, June 22, 2009

Stone Barns Center

Last week I stopped by the Stone Barns Center for Food and Agriculture to check it out.  It happened to be on a Wednesday when they have a small farmer's market from 2-4 offering their veggies and meats straight from the gardens and pastures you look at while purchasing your goods. This is one of the best examples of Farm to Table I've come across since being back on the east coast and this place makes me happy.  We toured their greenhouses and compared their lettuces to ours at home.  We stopped by to see the turkeys, chickens, and my personal favs- the Bershire pigs.  Everybody looked so content I swear I could see smiles.  There is a small cafe open during the day for sandwiches and pastries and a beautiful dining room offering a bit more elegance for dinner.  It's a great place to picnic with family and friends on the acres of beautiful grasses and the Rockefeller Nature Preserve within strolling distance.  Cheers to Stone Barns!! Good times in nature + a little education= one sweet afternoon.   www.stonebarnscenter.org

No comments:

Post a Comment