Thursday, June 25, 2009

Hungry For Change

Food, Inc.
"In Food, Inc., filmmaker Robert Kenner lifts the veil on our nation's food industry, exposing the highly mechanized underbelly that has been hidden from the American consumer with the consent of our government's regulatory agencies, USDA and FDA. Our nation's food supply is now controlled by a handful of corporations that often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihood of the American farmer, the safety of workers and our own environment. We have bigger-breasted chickens, the perfect pork chop, herbicide-resistant soybean seeds, even tomatoes that won't go bad, but we also have new strains of E. coli, are riddled with widespread obesity, particularly among children, and an epidemic level of diabetes among adults."

Maybe some of you have heard of this new documentary now in select theaters?  I am torn with excitement and fear to see the truth behind the foods we eat, where they come from, and how genetically modified things have really become. I've recently moved back from the west coast where I was spoiled with year round organic produce at my fingertips.  I want to find a way on the east coast for all of us to eat seasonally, locally, and normally...again.  " The way we eat has changed more in the last 50 years than in the previous 10,000." Michael Pollen   Isn't that fact just crazy?  It's weird.  Everyday we make choices on what to nourish our bodies with.  I understand the dilemas-Hey, I'm a cookie pusher myself, however, the cookies I sell are made with organic and natural ingredients.  See, you can still have the sweet stuff and keep the natural thing in check.  Nicholas D. Kristof wrote a column this weekend for the NYTimes stating that  "unhealthy calories are cheaper than nutritious ones": broccolli compared to Twinkies-get my drift. I know times are tough - perhaps Food, Inc is a small reminder on those Really important things to keep in check?    

No comments:

Post a Comment